Choosing the Right Type of Fencing
There are different things that you need to consider when choosing the type of fencing for your home. No matter if it’s a replacement or an entirely new one, there are different that things you need to keep in mind to make sure you made the right choice. By getting the optimal kind of fencing for your needs, you do not only save money but also time and effort of having the fencing bought, delivered and assembled. Let’s see some of the most important aspects to look at when choosing the right type of fence for your needs.
Knowing what your fence is for will greatly aid you in choosing the correct type for your needs. Fences can be used to enclose your whole yard for security and/or privacy, or you can use them for aesthetical purposes. If you know the purpose of your fencing, you can easily determine the best material and design, thus, allowing you to determine the possible final costs of your fencing project. A fence can be used for:
- Adding landscape appeal. A fence can add appeal to your front yard or backyard and it can help you achieve a better control of your landscape.
- Your fence can help you secure your children and/or pets from wandering out of your front and backyard. It’s also a great way to prevent strangers and stray animals from wandering into your yard.
- Don’t want strangers peeking during dinner or children playing in your yard? Mask those people and cars from the street? Then a high fence would be perfect.
Height is another important thing to consider when shopping for a fencing. Depending upon its function, it can be as low as two feet tall or even higher than you. Usually, low fences are purely for aesthetical purposes and higher ones are security oriented.
However, you can’t just choose what height you want. There might be a homeowner’s association rule or city codes to consult or follow. In addition to height restrictions, there may also be rules about the type of materials and color that you can use to construct your fencing.
Once you know the purpose and suitable/legal height of your fencing, it’s time to choose what kind of material you’re going to use. There are several kinds of materials to choose from and again, knowing your fence’s purpose like what we discussed earlier is important in order to make the right choice. You must choose the correct material to ensure that your fence can perform its duty properly.
One example is when you are building a fencing for security purposes. You’ll want to choose a durable material like metal or brick to ensure that your fence is strong enough to last a certain amount of time and to hold from possible attempts to break in. Some of the most common materials used in constructing fences are:
- Wood – which can last up to 20 years, but is mostly for privacy and aesthetic purposes only. There are various kinds of woods and they are different from one another in terms of durability and price. This type of material requires regular maintenance and painting to ensure that it can last for a long time.
- Vinyl – much like the wood in terms of purpose. But this one requires less maintenance and it can resist moisture. However, it can’t be painted or stained like wood and there is a fewer amount of shade to choose from. However, make sure that you don’t install a sprinkler near it as excessive and consistent amount of moisture could result in mildew build-up.
- Metal – is the best if you want a fence for security purposes. There are three types of metal fences that you can choose from, and they are aluminum, steel, and wrought iron.
- Aluminum is strong and durable. They are great for security fences and they are one of the best choices if you want to keep your children and/or pets from roaming away from your yard. It requires little to no maintenance at all.
- Steel fences are stronger than aluminum ones. Like aluminum, it can last a long amount of time and also requires little to no maintenance.
- Wrought iron is the strongest and most durable metal type that can last for up to half a century if properly maintained. They are built away from houses and because of that, this is usually the best choice for large properties.
- Brick – is the most expensive option for fencing but it is also the most durable, most secure and most private fence you can have. It doesn’t require maintenance and it can provide the maximum privacy and security depending on its height. In addition to that, if you love to party, this is probably your best choice, especially if you are going to be partying loud most of the time as this keeps sound from disturbing your neighbors. The only downside is that it requires a strong foundation as it can easily crumble and break if there is a soil erosion.
This is the final step in choosing your fencing. This is where you will decide on how you want your fences to look like. But even here, you must follow a certain restriction – you have to choose a design that perfectly fits your chosen purpose – is it for aesthetics, security or privacy?
- Lattice – this consists of diagonal spacing, typically about 2 inches each and is created from wood, vinyl or PVC panels. It will provide minimal privacy while allowing enough sunlight and view from its holes. This is best for gardens and simple security for your kids and/or pets.
- Chain Wire – this is a woven fence made of galvanized iron that can provide durable security but only a minimal amount of privacy. This is great of you want to keep your kids and/or pets from getting away or from outside individuals from getting in effortlessly.
- Picket Fence – this is mostly used for decorations and possibly for security. They are usually made of wood, vinyl or metal sheet and marks the boundary of the property. Not for privacy-conscious individuals,
- Split-rail Fence – if you’ve gone to a farm, you’ve seen one of these. Created from timber logs and woods assembled like rails. This is mostly for aesthetic purposes and minimal security for farm animals.